The Watchmen, graphic novel first picked up in 1986 by 20th Century Fox, the project bounced around the world from the US to the UK to Czechoslovakia, resting briefly at just about every major studio in the world. There were multiple scripts drafted, multiple directors tapped, and a Who's-Who of Hollywood talent courted for the lead roles. In the end, we got exactly what you'd expect to get: a mess.

I wasn't looking forward to seeing Watchmen in the theater. However, a friend wanted to see it with me, so I figured why not. I did not read Watchmen the graphic novel, so I really didn't know what I was in for.

watchmen, movie, posterThe Watchmen is set in 1985, the US and Soviet Union are sliding towards war. The Comedian (Morgan), a member of a disbanded group of superheroes called the Watchmen, is brutally murdered; setting events in motion that will change the world. Rorschach (Haley), another member of the Watchmen, who happens to be a little unstable, sets out to find the killer. He seeks the assistance of the rest of the team, Dr. Manhattan (Crudup), Silk Spectre (Ackerman), Ozymandias (Goode), and Night Owl (Wilson), to find the killer and is met with mixed reactions. Still, he pushes onward, discovering a plan beyond his imagination.

The last half hour of the movie was completely boring. Some of it was kind of a drag but that is what a 3 hour movie can be like.

Overall, "Watchmen" isn't perfect. It's a very decent but pretty long movie. I'll bet that the graphic novel is even better. I did like the movie for what it was. It could've been a lot worse, but overall I found it tolerable.
ShareThis

0 comments

Related Posts with Thumbnails