I saw G.I. Joe Rise of Cobra last night and I have to admit I liked it far more than I thought I would. I loved GI JOE as a kid, and when I saw the first trailer for this movie I thought 'This is GI JOE? It doesn't look anything like the GI JOE I remember?' When I watched this I had low expectations but soon realized the movie isn’t that bad it’s actually good not as exciting as the first Transformers but still a decent and entertaining movie that the family should love.

The movie takes place in the not too distant future where weapons expert James McCullen played by Christopher Eccleston has created a weapon that uses nanotechnology to basically eat through anything including whole cities. He sells four of these warheads to NATO, and Duke played by Channing Tatum and Ripcord played by Marlon Wayans are soldiers in the U.S. army and are tasked with delivering the warheads. During the mission the pair are ambushed by the Baroness played by Sienna Miller, however they are saved by Scarlett played by Rachel Nichols, Snake Eyes played by Ray Park, and Heavy Duty played by Adewale Akinnuoye-Agbaje members of a secret black ops group known as the Joes. They are then taken back to The Pit the Joe's command center in North Africa. Here Duke, and Ripcord convince General Hawk played by Dennis Quaid to let them join the team for this mission as they know the Baroness personally from the past.The rest of the movie is a battle between the Joes and the double crosser James McCullen and his group of genetically altered soldiers over these warheads.

It has a very big cast and Stephen Sommers (The Mummy, Van Helsing) does a fine job giving everyone a good amount of screen time. He gets trash talked about him, but he's honestly better than Michael Bay and McG are at least. One problem I had was Joseph Gordon Levitt (Brick,The Lookout) being cast against type as Cobra Commander. It worked for Heath Ledger as the Joker, but doesn't work here. He's a very talented actor and tries hard to be sinister and it does almost work but I also had a hard time trying not to laugh. I just don't see why he has been cast in villains roles of late. But the best casting was of Ray Park (X-Men, Sleepy Hollow) as Snake Eyes. He was perfectly cast in the role and the movie is it's most fun when he's on screen.

Overall, I enjoyed the movie. It's not a bad movie. "Rise of Cobra" contains a number of gratifying action sequences, and the special effects on the whole are quite good. It's also fun for the grown man who enjoyed the toys of his youth to watch the story unfold and ask himself, for example, "Is that the Baroness?" And every scene involving Storm Shadow and Snake Eyes (old or young) is edge-of-your-seat good stuff. There is a lot to keep the casual fan involved.
ShareThis

0 comments

Related Posts with Thumbnails